Carlo Santi and Vittorio Borachia, who make up the architectural duo Santi Borachia, met while they were both students at the Polytechnic School in Milan during the 1940s and found common ground for exploring the world of architecture and design. Among other collaborations, the duo was involved in the lighting company Arteluce, which at the time attracted the most talented architects and designers due to the visionary and experimental approach of its founder, Gino Sarfatti. Later, Carlo Santi’s and Vittorio Borachia’s spheres of interest moved on to urban planning, but from time to time they continued the exploration of lighting and furniture design, both as a duo and under their own names. Carlo Santi and Vittorio Borachia were guided by the logical and formal principles of the most recent industrial techniques and materials and aimed for an essential elegance in their design, whether in plastic, wood or glass.
Carlo Santi (1925-2004) worked as an architect, designer and urban planner. From the mid-1950s, Carlo Santi engaged in urban investigations from a profound wish to enhance the urban and rural landscape, an interest he shared with Vittorio Borachia. He lectured in Urban Planning at the Polytechnic School in Milan during the 1960s and later became professor in charge. Carlo Santi had a long career with many publications and positions, including as a board member of INU (National Institute of Urban Planning) from 1959 to 1962, and from 1973 to 1973, he was a member of the board of directors of ADI, the Association for Industrial Design, to which he was registered from 1956 to 1980.
Vittorio Borachia (1920-2015) worked as an architect and designer and was also appointed professor of Urban Planning at the Polytechnic School in Milan, the school he and Carlo Santi graduated from. Vittorio Borachia had a great love of nature and strived to embrace it both in architecture and urban planning, always seeking to combine growth and development with ecological sustainability. Vittorio Borachia contributed to numerous publications, and during the early 1950s he collaborated with Carlo Santi on a set of monographic notebooks for Domus magazine. Vittorio Borachia was one of the founders of ILRES, the Ligurian Institute of Economic and Social Research, and he served as President of INU (National Institute of Urban Planning) Liguria from 1965 to 1991.