A timeless masterpiece of lightness and elegance, Model 2065 is the result of Gino Sarfatti’s desire to experiment with materials. Gino Sarfatti came across methacrylate samples between 1949 and 1950. This convinced him to create a suspension lamp with this plastic polymer which is much lighter and more resistant than glass. The 2021 version adds to these features in terms of sustainability: the diffusers are made of Green Cast®, a 100% recycled and recyclable PMMA (polymethyl methacrylate) — patented and made in Italy — that has exactly the same aesthetic and functional quality of original methacrylate.
Model 2065 consists of a diffuser made up of two opalescent plates joined and suspended from the ceiling with a black painted aluminum rosette. A simple design played on the elliptical shape and the lightness of the materials which, together, seem to give life to a weightless creation. The lamp was relaunched by Astep in 2016 also in a second black version, in which the upper plate is finished with a soft-touch coating with a strong graphic expression. Five E14 LED bulbs provide illumination in all versions of the lamp.
The ceiling Model 2065 was already an innovative statement in the world of lighting of the 50s. The Model 2065 Wall added to this the extraordinary capacity to re-write the formal status quo for its category: with the cables fitting inside its tube, it was stuck to the wall yet also nomadic and required no architectural or electrical intervention.
|Opaline Methacrylate Diffusers, Aluminium Structure|
|∅ 538 × 546mm|
|5 × E14 LED 4.5W (12W Max)|
470lm (2350lm Total)
Complimentary Bulbs Included *
Born in Venice in 1912, Gino Sarfatti studied to become an aeronautical engineer until family circumstances compelled him to relocate to Milan where he had his first encounter with lighting, an engineering project to transform a glass vase into a lamp. This encounter with lighting design and engineering shaped the path of his life. In 1939 Gino Sarfatti founded his company Arteluce, which brought lighting into the 20th century combining innovative ideas with groundbreaking design.
Arteluce won numerous prizes and awards including the Compasso d’Oro in 1954 and 1955, and the Honorary Diploma of the Milan Triennale, becoming an important meeting place for many leading Italian architects throughout the 50’s and 60’s. The first Milanese Arteluce retail space was designed with Marco Zanuso in 1951. Ten years later Gino Sarfatti and his lifelong friend Vittoriano Viganò designed their flagship location on Via della Spiga.
Throughout his career, Gino Sarfatti explored and was inspired by new product typologies, innovative materials, lighting technologies, and production techniques. His hybrid talent as a designer and engineer enabled him to created refined products in both aesthetics and function.
Gino Sarfatti was a significant figure in the history of Italian industrial design, developing more than 700 luminaires. In 1973 he retired on Lake Como, with Flos acquiring Arteluce and their expansive catalog.
Gino Sarfatti died at Gravedona in 1985.